Climbing incentives

O.k., I had to put this up just while it was rolling around my head the last while.
Basically, what's everyone's ambitions for the Winter?
Fair enough, that sounds daft, but remember I'm thinking long-term here, so what's everyone aiming for next summmer?
Now see where I'm going? You've got to work back from here, give yourself an incentive. Granted, we haven't got the biggest/highest wall to use (be it UCD or DCU or wherever your local wall is), but we can still make the most of it.
So give yourself an incentive, be it to climb a new grade at bouldering during the winter with the added benefit that it'll also make those moves in Ailladie/Gola/Muckross/FairHead that much easier next Summer, to increasing your stamina so you find yourself trundling up your projects of last Summer and actually getting to ENJOY THE VIEW cause your arms aren't ballooning and you can't see your next piece of gear (this is my experience talking :).

Of course, if you're happy with where you're at also, that's no bad thing - I'd be willing to bet you've got other things in life a hell of a lot more important.

And most importantly, enjoy yourself!, what's the point if you're not gaining from it?

Of course, if anyone is willing, stick a post or two in the comments, or mail me directly if you've any thoughts on this.

Comments

  1. Well I suppose I'll get the ball rolling on this one...

    I always find these discussions difficult as I can never draw the line at how much I just want to gain from climbing. Over the past couple of months I've been climbing regularly and seen some progress and now I want to continue to improve BUT I don't think I've reached my current potential when it comes to leading. Why? Well it's a head game... I don't want to fall!

    So I'm going to make that my goal I think... not just to fall but to fall due to me pushing myself to my climbing limit! Then I can concentrate on improving from there. The only quam I have about this is where to be sensible about it as I don't want to get out of my depth and potential hurt myself...

    Along with this I reckon core strength plays a huge role in climbing(plus skiing) so more work on overhangs and knee raises on the pull up bar. The work on the overhang is showing an improvement already but I need to start doing the tedious bar work now too...

    I can't believe I actually have thoughts on this. I'm turning into a climbing nerd! Lets come back to this in a couple of months now and we'll see if I really am or not :)

    So come on, someone else's turn...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts