Days of route-setting


KILDARE, IRELAND (Usual Suspect's blog) - A bit late in posting this, but it's been a hectic week!

The climbing intervarsities were on over the weekend, see a report here on TGU from Steve McG and Ailish. Good write-up, and good to see it as a guest post (Steve, I'll let you post it all yourself next time ;).
As ever DCU pulled it out of the bag and roped up a pile of sponsorship to cover the event. Always great to see them supplying such great prizes to the students! Kudos the sponsors for stumping up also.

Anyway, my involement? I was setting most of the routes for the roped competition. You know yourself, sure how hard and time-consuming can it be? Err..... As ever getting the grades right was a little interesting and after setting three routes (thanks Michael N for setting the final one), it averaged out that I spent FOUR hours on each route just putting the holds up and tweaking them to keep it interesting. As it happened I believe they stuck a roof section on one of my routes due to worries over too many people climbing the route clean - I believe only one person made it to the last hold of my route (and held it - it was a dynamic move :) so that's pretty good for me!
On a side note, I was sooo wrecked after it. Bumping up and down an an 11-meter wall on an ascender takes it's toll and sore elbows were the order of the day on Saturday. All good now though.
Must say a massive thanks to Eamon for arranging the wall and letting me have the run of the place for two days! Much appreciated :)

Image: My home for two days - Westwood climbing wall

Comments

  1. Have to say, the orange on the overhang is a lovely route altogether, green on the roof is great too. Thanks!

    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Stu. Was pretty happy with the Orange although had to remove the two best moves as the panel wasn't wide enough and you couldn't avoid either the corner or the arete. Pity.
    Green was o.k. - tried to make it as interesting as possible without just being thuggy or stupidly technical. Wasn't completely happy with it by the time I was finished but it did the job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts