Another hectic week and the working life

DUBLIN, IRELAND - It's amazing how much work affects the day to day life. As I enter my 3rd week, I'm already seeing the effects of it - much more tired, wayyy less hours for doing the things I really enjoy, less time to meet friends and take part in sport.

Basically, for me, work seems to boil down to doing it for the financial benefits. I.e. no money means you can't eat/travel/stay active == live. It's an interesting conundrum, and I've spent quite a bit thinking about the many people I know who are just doing their work as "it pays the bills" (as replied in more than one email in the past few weeks). Can you imagine how much more would be done if we all did the work that we all enjoyed!?
Someday (and sooner than later) I'm hoping this changes and I'm doing a job I genuinely believe in! Having said that, I got another email from an old friend recently who's working on a new and exciting new technology and is working all the hours of the day on it. But you know what, he loves it. I can relate to that: if I'm to spend 8 hours (at least) of every day (i.e. a third of the day!) doing work on something, I'd like to be on something I believe in!

Comments

  1. They say if you do a job you love you'll never work a day in your life, it's so true isn't it? I have lots of time to do all the things I love now (while the kids are at school) but I'm not sure I'm any happier. Because I did a job I loved it gave me a huge amount of personal satisfaction (and a great laugh every day!). You don't get that at home I can tell ya! But if you don't love your job it must feel like an awful slog just to get by. Any plans to change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They say if you do a job you love you'll never work a day in your life" - says it all doesn't it really :) Definitely time flies when you're doing something you enjoy.

    As for change, yep and yep :) The climbing coaching could be great fun, but unfortunately climbers are notorious for not having any interest whatsoever in 'training' so that's a slow burner. My sport is also something I love as a sport so whether I'd do it all the time is another story...... I've some ideas though so will be interesting to see where it goes :)

    BTW, kudos for putting up a reply - I'm not sure how many people would be willing to comment on this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just back from a long day not in the office which was quite enjoyable really. You and many people who know me, know that I bitch a bit about my Job but I would bitch about any job. However the more I talk to friends of similar vintage the more I realise that I am haunted boy (corkonian for very lucky I lived there for too long maybe) 'cos every few months I get one of those "I can't believe they pay me to do this s#@t" moments. So although I never believed the if you enjoy your job that you'll never work a day in our life philosophy on the basis that most jobs involve some degree of dealing with awkward people and/or stupid rules and/or stupid paper work and/or H&S stupidity some days you have a good day that makes up for all the stupidity and stupidheads. :) I just had one and I plan on arranging another one for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear buddy :) Sounds like I'll have to think about that sort of solution myself for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to admit it matey but i'm liking work for the first time in a long while at the moment - Who'd a thunk it? But know what you're going through... been there, done that! Good post! we all tink it - you wrote it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear Dave, always good to hear people in a good place!
    See there's hope for us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hello there! I followed some links and ended up drawn to this one. You find me commenting on this whilst waiting for the phone to ring to see if I have finally got the job for which i've done 3 rounds of interviews and they can't make up their minds. And I don't even want it. But I'm broke. And bored. Sigh. I see you're back in Dublin. Off to find out more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts