Return to Ton Sai: personal update


The local kitten that has been surviving off tins of tuna courtesy of my room :)

So, first 17 days completed in Ton Sai of this trip and I thought it was worth putting it all out there for all to read. Honestly, it's been a tough return to climbing and one that while I expected, was a bit more of a psychological shock than I expected - probably due to the fact that my first trip to here was so successful in early 2007.
In short, bar a brief sojurn to check out Hampi and Badami, I've had little or no climbing in the past 2-3 months. Prior to that, it wasn't the greatest of years for climbing anyway. I wasn't motivated due to the situation in Ireland (even with access to the amazing new Co-Op facility) - a lack of sports routes (emmm.....), and a lack of motivation through work/etc.
Basically, as Naomi also describes on her own blog here (excellent post BTW, for anyone looking to give themselves to focus on some goals and enjoying it along the way, check it out!), the first few days were a serious shock to the system! Heavily reduced stamina, mainly overhanging routes, it was a serious battle. Honestly, it's the first time in a long while were I feel like I've dropped a long way off my top level and it's pretty humbling to experience. But it's not a negative one by any means. If anything it proves everything I've preached in the past years - that training and goal-setting pays off. Just like Dave McLeod says "&(&(*&&(" - the belief and confidence you'll personally gain will transfer to all aspects of your life.


A French climber's shoes - no, no-one has any idea how he climbed in them!

so, for now, I'm just enjoying my climbing. I've a couple of routes I might try (a 7c+ I had a quick go on last week, and the classic 8b 'Jai Dum' on the beach) but I've no real expectations of getting them clean and it's all just for fun. Life's too short to get stressed now. Having said that, 2009 is a new year and with my imminent arrival in New Zealand, I'll be resetting some goals. It's interesting to note that at the same time that I'd big goals in my climbing, my big goals in other parts of my life were being actively pursued with similar positive gains. Time to take that into my thinking when I start my new goal list. Have you set goals? What are you focusing on? I know some of you have.... comments welcome below....


Most definitely not me! A Japanese climber running across one of the 8a+'s on Ton Sai wall. He reversed the route from the chains to about half-way also....

Comments

  1. How I love goal setting, so good for motivation! Just had a look through my goals for this year on the climbing coaching site, and happy to say I achieved about half. Still, it looks like I might get out climbing for at least one day before the year is out so theres still hope of achieving one more goal... :-)

    Anyway, the list for next year goes something like:

    Trad - Onsight E3 and brit 6a
    - Toprope an E7 clean
    - Go to Fairhead and learn how to jam

    Sport - Go somewhere cool like Spain and redpoint 7a

    Bouldering - Do ALL Glendo problems in the sixes
    - At least one 7a(+) at home
    - Go back to Font and do Helicopter at Cuvier and Toit De Cul Du Chien

    Misc. - Do at least one of Barry's problems at the Co-Op (He must have set himself a warmup....)

    The trip sounds amazing! Keep pushing yourself and you'll be back to full power in no time.

    Cheers

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. get through the year uninjuried, and have a clear focus of were I want to be at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the wonders of Xmas resolutions :) just before you sit down to eating wayyyy to much food and drink :)
    We'll all try put them into action sometime around the 1st week in January. LOL

    Happy Christmas to y'all :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts