The magic number





quick shake on small edge. Come on, breathe...
Twist, left hand up onto 4mm edge. Ignore stinging in the index finger (no skin left).
Drop the left foot, hang and latch one-and-half-finger pocket. Perfect
Left foot way across.
Breathe.
Stop. Focus. Squeeze on that pocket. hard. aim.
Lunge for 3-finger credit-card edge with left.
Shit, I'm still on the wall. What do I do now?
Straighten, and right hand to small single-knuckle edge.
O.k. foot up, and get both hands side by side.
Breathe.
Shake out (that's a surprise, these edges are tiny!).
Feet up again, and lunge to the stalectite hanging down.
Yes!
In the bag.


8a+. 5.13c. 30. Whatever international grading scheme it's in, who cares, it took me quite a bit of effort to get to this level (especially as we've no bolted climbing in Ireland!).

That's only the last 3 metres of the route. There was another 15 below that, all overhanging by 20 degrees.....

Lower down and watch the sea for a few minutes. Don't want to forget the thoughts from this route :)

How do you treat yourself after challenging myself to this level? a two-hour kayak out to one of the islands off-shore with Eimear (another Irish friend I know who's passing through). Wrecked now, but I can live with it.

Thanks to Eimear for getting to the pictures, and Cory for holding my rope. You better get it next day!



How I looked after dragging my sorry ass to the top of the route :)

Comments

  1. Yess!!! Well done man! More pictures! More news! Keep it comming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done
    Enjoying the blog, makes me green every day in the office!

    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Son. You are the man. Your number one fans

    Mum & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweeeeeeeeeeet.
    Bon effort on the f8a+.
    see you in Aus

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm only getting around to reading your blog now. Just starting from the start (you'd never guess I just started on INTRA) go to say it's inspiring stuff. You're making me think about nothing other than climbing and pushing myself, usualy I only do that 80-90% of the time :D

    Have fun man, I really bloody jealous and congrats on the tick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts