Every time I feel like I should turn back to trying hard trad routes....

.....I see a video like this and ask why would I want this?!?!?


Gaia (E8 6c) Flash Attempt from Dave Gill on Vimeo.

But then I see this showing an amazing community of climbers having an absolute blast at the Petzl Roc trip (note: 20+ minutes long so make it chill-out time!):



or this sort of ridiculous new route (Sharma's new super-hard route in Siurana) and I get properly inspired to improve myself!

For anyone coming up to the beginning of the new year and looking for New Year's resolutions, give yourself some projects (in everything you do in life). As Dave McLeod says in his blog post,
Committing yourself to climbing a route you cannot touch at present is a special experience that can change your life. Sure you, can dismiss this potential for an adventure because ‘it’s not an onsight’ or whatever you like. Some people will do this because they respond differently to the stimulus climbing gives, others because they are actually frightened they do not have the commitment but won’t admit this to themselves (note: this is not something to be frightened of – it’s actually an essential ingredient of the reward).....

Even if you don't succeed, or if it takes months/years to achieve your goal, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Comments

Popular Posts