Back to some fingerboard training


Naomi training on the Rock Rings

It's been a fun few weeks since settling into Queenstown. Some temp work. Some cycling. Some running. Checking out the local crags. And some training on the side. It's amazing how much I started to realize how much I enjoy the training - not purely for the training but the focus that comes with it, and the obvious gains that are seen when I return climbing. I was feeling really sluggish in the past few months while traveling - mainly from not climbing - and finding that I just couldn't climb as well as I wanted. Some of it was rustyness (no, that's not a word :) and some was just losing form. Training articles seem to guesstimate that you lose training form after 3-4 weeks of not doing anything, and it'll take at least that to get most of it back. I found that just climbing wasn't working.....
So, a quick search online and I came across Stoney Creek and ordered a set of Rock Rings from Metolius. O.k., so it's not as good as a bouldering wall, or a full fingerboard for that matter, but I have to say they've been holding up to the job. Finger strength is returning, and some shoulder power is showing a semblance of re-appearing. It's a slow road back but I can't complain and I'm not feeling achy from it which is important too.
The other big benefit I have right now which has I've never experienced. The view from our balcony and house. Yes, that is the view below from the sitting room. I feel blessed to live in a location like this - it sure helps with getting up and swinging out of some rings!!


I've found a few projects in the Queenstown area so I'll hopefully get a blast on them in the next few weeks. Stay tuned......

p.s. do people want a list of training items I've found worked on the Rock Rings?
p.s also, my writing is very rusty right now. I'll make sure to make it improves as the weeks go on. It's good to be back writing regularly....


Comments

  1. Hi Niel,

    I'm about to undergo the same process. A crazy February at work has eaten up all of my training time. I started hanging out on my fingerboard at home last night, and just that began to feel good. I'm going to start getting a few sessions in a week through to the end of March.

    The view from my bedroom door in a Shoreditch flat in London leaves something to be desired though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ian,
    Yeah, a bit of time off leaves you feeling ready for any sort of training. You sure can't beat a fingerboard for instant gains and making you feel in (slightly :) better shape than you are!
    I'm pretty lucky with the view alright, although it seems that most houses here have it. Maybe I'll try avoid London....
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my view of the back wall of my kitchen isn't exactly the most inspiring whilst dangling from a piece of wood. I'd be interested to hear what you've found worked for you though, I'm playing around with different types of fingerboard sessions at the mo and all info/advice is welcome!

    And I'm looking forward to hearing more news about these projects! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will let you know on the projects Paul :)
    As for the fingerboard session, will let you know. Trying to put it together into some readable format and articles. Stay tuned.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice view man - the life by the looks of it! Good to see you're doing well,

    ReplyDelete
  6. @barry - thanks, yeah - it's a pretty amazing location but gets a bit weird living in a resort (i.e. it's not really a town) after a while. Mini-bubble but definitely not complaining :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts